Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back on the trail...

I'm back on the trail and my knee, thus far, is holding ... hurray! Western Massachusetts is absolutely beautiful. The trail is calm and relatively easy, not to mention well marked. I'd almost forgotten what a blaze looked like. The forest is a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees so there's a wonderful mix of colors and smells.

Today my "big challenge" will be a 1,000 foot elevation gain spread over a two mile span - using trail cut with switchbacks. I know because I'm halfway up it now and stopped for lunch. Ahhhh... switchbacks. How I adore thee! :-)

Other things that seemed to only live in my distant memory, but are now back in play, are mosquitoes and cobwebs - boo to both! So far today I haven't passed another soul on the trail so needless to say I've been web-walking for miles. That said it's a minor inconvenience to endure in order to have the whole trail to myself. I know there are plenty of other southbounders out there so I'm bound to run into someone soon. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the solitude, rolling trail and beautiful weather.

Rolling On,
Yahtzee




Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

3 comments:

  1. G'day Yahtzee.... Boy, you don't skip a beat either.. do you ? I would of taken a few days to re-coop.. but being the soldier YOU are; you kept a forward motion ! Simply AMAZING ! I'm praying for YOU, YOUR KNEE... and that the mosquitoes & cobwebs.. know that you are not to be reckoned with ! ~ Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray ~ You are back on the trail and it sounds like you are enjoying your trek. I would too. It sounds and looks wonderful and peaceful except for the dang mosquitoes and spider webs.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aahhh FALL in New England! And you truly get to see the REAL DEAL! Enjoy every minute! just step gingerly...and I think you are getting so close to the finish line! So Proud of you! Rock ON!AOE Sista!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog...